Wednesday, June 15, 2016


LETTER OF PROF. JOSE DAVID LAPUZ TO HIS FORMER STUDENT AT THE LYCEUM OF THE PHILIPPINES AND NOW PRESIDENT OF THE REPUBLIC OF THE PHILIPPINES HIS EXCELLENCY RODRIGO ROA DUTERTE

President-Elect Rodrigo Duterte in his office at the Malacanang of the South, Panacan Davao City, June 8, 2016, 2:00 am Wednesday talking to his former professor at the Lyceum of the Philippines, Prof. Jose David Lapuz. Listening to their conversation are Dr. John Ortiz Teope, PhD, EdD, National President of the 1st Philippine Pro-Democracy Foundation and  Dr. Bobbit Carlos, MD, former Mayor and Congressman of Valenzuela City

June 15, 2016

The Honorable Rodrigo “Rody” Duterte
Ordained by God of History as the
16th President of the Republic of the Philippines


Dear President Rody

I am writing you via internet because it is not so easy to get you by phone whether in Davao or in Manila. President Rody I hope this communication of mine will remove all cloudiness and vagueness regarding my appointment by your honor as Chairperson of the Commission on Higher Education (CHED).

I think you will agree with me that on Wednesday June 8, 2016 at 2:20 am at the Malacañang of the South situated at Barangay Panacan, Davao City in a room full of your many visitors and admirers, you appointed me Prof. Jose David Lapuz, Professor of Political Science and Life, Works and Writing of our national hero Dr. Jose P. Rizal, as the CHAIRPERSON of the Commission on Higher and Tertiary Education for which of course I was very grateful because you made me realize my dream that has always been my aspiration since first I became a teacher in 1963, (you will remember up to 1968 as the golden years of our beloved Lyceum of the Philippines) I remember starting my meeting with you last June 8 at around 2 o’clock am of that memorable Wednesday with a presentation of why I wanted to become the Chairman of CHED under your Administration-Leadership.

I propose as Chair-CHED that I will write as “INSPIRATION” or “SPARKLING” and “IGNITING IDEA” or a “FLASH” before the “Vision of CHED” the “CONCEPTS of ENLIGHTENED and ILLUMINED NATIONALISM in EDUCATION.” I believe as I have taught in the Lyceum that Nationalism is the best defense of our liberties and of our independence. You remember me in the years 1968, 1967, 1966, 1965 and 1964 that I have always cited in my numerous lectures, forums, classes, addresses, discourses, lessons, speeches and other discussions. I always cited Dr. Jose Rizal and Sen. Claro Mayo Recto, the souls of Filipino Nationalism when these very great Filipinos said; “I trust that a generation from now the Filipino people particularly the Filipino students may stand with a legitimate pride before the world and before history as a paragon of democracies; and that it may be said of us that, in adversity we were united and undismayed; in prosperity, magnanimous and prudent; against fascist and the opportunistic relentless and uncompromising against demagogues aloof and contemptuous; in fulfillment of our duties, earnest and self-exacting; in love of country, pledge with our lives, our fortunes and our sacred honor and practicing a firm but restrain and enlightened nationalism, illumined by the thought that this world is one world and we are one with human kind.”

You remember President Rody Duterte that I emphasize that we must be pragmatic-nationalist and stop believing that there is such a thing as altruism or magnanimity among nation states. President-Elect Rody Duterte I do not dare to lecture you in patriotic-nationalism you are the embodiment, the very personification, the representation and with your election as president with 16.6 million votes out of 81% turn-out the very materialization and realization of Enlighten Nationalism and Change in Government Transformation and Metamorphosis (I am quoting “Metamorphosis” as your word in your last presscon on June 2, Thursday midnight at the CNN Philippines which I watched). You know certainly that CHANGE can assure progress but progress, implacably requires change; and the current kind of education is essential and basic to change, for the correct kind of education creates both new wants and the ability to change --- what I cited in my Lyceum of the Philippines, in the early 1960s as “the revolution of rising expectations”. The renown educator, academic, intellectual and professor, John Dewey (1859-1952) lectured once: “I believe that education is the fundamental method of social progress and return. Through education, society can formulate each own purposes, can organize its own means and resources, and thus shape itself with definiteness and economy in the direction in which it wishes to move.” In other words education is not the filling-in of water in the cylindrical container but the kindling of a fire --- THE FIRE OF LOVE OF COUNTRY!

President Rody Duterte, I am always powerfully moved each time in our thronged and jammed political rallies, you wrapped yourself in our Filipino flag; you always tug at my heartstrings even as you strike a nerve and melt the heart of millions and millions and millions of Filipinos watching you, I see you as my student at the Lyceum (What was your favorite subject you enrolled in – Consular Rules and Diplomatic Practice?) rocked in the Cradle of Nationalism very proud and standing tall in the colors (Red, White, and Blue) of our flag which is the emblem of our solidarity, our patriotic ideas, our unity and our ideals and thoughts, and you are ready to pledge your nationalistic faith and hope and your honor to our native land. Rody Duterte, you do your over 16.6 millions of Filipinos proud. You are a student who also help mold your former Professor. You see, even as a teacher teaches a student, the material dialectics is that your teacher or professor is also taught by his student.

I can cherish the hope Pres. Rody and I pray for the opportunity to serve your administration, as my talents such as they are, will prove equal to it as your Chairperson of the Commission on Higher Education. After this presentation, you asked me. “ Do you want to serve the government?” I answered “Yes”.  “ As what? In What Capacity?” you asked me.  “As Chairman of CHED” I replied. “YES” you President Rody Duterte quickly replied as witnessed and heard by the people inside the room.  Then we had greetings and felicitations and then we had a last photography where I stood beside you and I repeated: Did I hear you correctly that you have appointed me as Chair of CHED. “YES” you replied again.

Mr. President-Elect Rody Duterte I hope and pray I will always observe your trust and confidence and that I will always live up to your expectations and beliefs, if I do not, hopefully, exceed or surpass them, as your professor and you as my student which I had the privilege of somehow imparting knowledge to you, I will forever remember you and the image of a presidential aspirant embracing the Filipino flag and emotionally reciting: I love the Philippines, It is the land of my birth; It is the home of my people. It protects me and helps me to be strong, happy and useful. In return, I will heed the counsel of my parents; I will obey the rules of my school; I will perform the duties of a patriotic, law-abiding citizen; I will serve my country unselfishly and faithfully I will be a true Filipino in thought, in word, and in deed.

Like you, President-Elect Rody Duterte, I am pledge, with my honor to be true to this allegiance to our country and people. Mr. President, God anointed you as the 16th President of the Republic of the Philippines. Although you are the incoming Commander-In-Chief of the Filipino people to me you are the "Servant in Chief" of a sovereign, independent, and patriotic Filipino Nation.


Yours Very Truly,


Prof. Jose David Lapuz


32 comments:

  1. It is about time! I was also one of your students in Rizal Classes, though this was in UST College of Arts & Letters circa 1971 and not in Lyceum. Good luck in your new endeavor. God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153654515157106&set=a.10153654511342106.1073742207.705687105&type=3&theater

    ReplyDelete
  3. Napaka obsequious...ad naseaum

    ReplyDelete
  4. May pagka-patronizing un letter and at the same time condenscending.... urghhhh

    ReplyDelete
  5. May pagk-patronizing ung letter and may dating na condescending

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh My God! And he's supposed to head the Commission on Higher Education? Patay na!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Best satirical piece I read today!

    Wait, what? You mean he's not joking?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ummmm... Huh? I just wasted 30minutes of my life analyzing this letter and trying to connect on how is he going to be effective in CHED. Alang kwenta. Opps sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Work of a through-and-through narcissist. Birds of the same feather... :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. "remove all cloudiness"? and he will head the the Commission on "Higher" Education - maski "lower" education, hindi qualified yan sa pagka-mediocre ng pag-iisip.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Midnight appointments does happen. How disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gag, vomit ....... Heaven helps the philippines ......

    ReplyDelete
  13. An English teacher should grade this piece of crap with a red pen for grammar, syntax and coherence. If he gets a pasding grade then he can be head of the Commission for Lowest Education

    ReplyDelete
  14. He does not even make sense - just a rambling piece of high fallutin crap written without thought of grammar, syntax or coherence.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Is this supposed to be one of "the best and the brightest" of DU30's cabinet? Oh, Lord have mercy on us and to the CHED! Hold on to your ears,
    Philippine higher education may be about to sink ... :(

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry, but I did not have the patience to read the entire article. Except for the last paragraph where he stated that "Mr. Duterte was anointed by God to be the President of the country". Excuse me but, he was NOT anointed by God. NOT BY A LONG SHOT. He was elected by the 16 million who bought into his b.s. and NOT by the rest of the 25 million who voted for either Roxas or Poe. I am not a religious person, but, I've read enough Biblical stories and our God would NOT anoint a person with his character.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Leaders are appointed no matter how we disagree with his character. His performance will be observed, and it will not skip Duterte's eyes, if his role fails him.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kulang na lang padalhan ng hugs and kisses jusme hahahahha

    ReplyDelete
  20. Like you prof. I am also pledge...oops! He he he.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Does he had a recorder or book about his life or he has a biographer a full time since he was born... He should written a book regarding his contact with President elect and not only a an essay for him to remember every bits and pieces of what transpired or history between them...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Akala ko estudyante nagsulat nito. Guro pala! Hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow.

    Parang me requirement na minimum number of words ang letter. Pinilit abutin kahit wala ng sense mga sinusulat.

    And he's gonna be the next CHED chair? Crap. We're going down the drain.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Is this letter a joke? If this is real, this guy can't write! The saddest part is, he doesn't have a clue. This guy is obviously crazy. And he is going to head the CHED? Hooooohh booy!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi!

    I am a writer from ESQUIRE magazine--the internationally acclaimed men's lifestyle magazine, and we are interested in doing an interview with you for an upcoming issue, if you would be open to this! Please email us at esquireph@gmail.com.

    Many thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Everyone:

    It is so simple and plain. No debate or disagreement here.

    This Jose David Lapuz is simply NOT QUALIFIED to be CHED chair for the simple reason that he has no doctorate (not even a master's degree for that matter).

    Section 4 of the CHED law (Republic Act 7722, 1994) clearly requires that the CHED chair and members must hold earned doctorates. Lapuz DOES NOT HAVE A DOCTORATE so he is totally UNQUALIFIED TO BE CHED BOSS.

    ReplyDelete
  27. He was once my professor and from the very start of the class up to the last I was suffering, he likes to degrade his students.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hello Everybody,
    My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:{urgentloan22@gmail.com} Thank you.

    ReplyDelete